The Associate in Applied Science, major in General Technology degree program allows students to select coursework to become multi-skilled technicians. The degree contains a general education component. The required core includes a primary technical specialty of at least 21 credit hours from a single content area. The secondary technical specialty consists of at least 12 semester hours from a program currently offered by the College. The other hours required for graduation allow for a third technical specialty or enhance the primary and secondary technical specialty areas.
Complete PSY-105 or PSY-201
Complete BIO-112 (Minimum Grade C)
Take 12 credits from courses: AHS-101, AHS-108, AHS-116, AHS-120, AHS-121, AHS-135, AHS-144, AHS-117, or SUR-125. (Minimum Grade C)
Complete AHS-102 (Minimum Grade C)
Complete CPT-101, SPC-205, or PHI-110
Complete SUR-101 (Minimum Grade C)
To qualify for the surgical tech waiting list, each applicant must:
- Complete the YTC admissions application and submit your high school transcript or GED score report.
- Take the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) and achieve a score of 50 or higher.
- Select and meet the requirements in Track 1, 2, or 3.
Show proficiency in each subject area with test scores:
- Reading - Accuplacer NG 263, Accuplacer 95, Compass 88, SAT 480, or ACT 21
- Writing - Accuplacer NG 250, Accuplacer 75, Compass 70, SAT 480, or ACT 21
- Math - Accuplacer NG QAS 237, Accuplacer 90, Compass 54, SAT 570, or ACT 23
*GPA on courses in SURR program must be 2.0 or higher
Complete these classes with a 2.5 GPA:
- BIO 112
- ENG 101
- MAT 103
- PSY 201
- HSS 205
Show reading proficiency with test scores or RDG 101
Have a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college.
Each applicant must:
• Provide proof of high school diploma or GED.
• Achieve qualifying
scores on the College’s placement tests.
• Minimum COMPASS Test Scores:
70/Writing, 81/Reading, 54/Pre-Algebra/Math
• Minimum Surgical
Technology program GPA of 2.0 in classes taken at York Technical College
that can be applied towards the Surgical Technology program.
Students must submit a completed student health form to include the
• Physical Assessment
• Proof of two MMR vaccinations
AND Rubella titer is required or if no proof of MMR is available
must have titers for each(Measles, Mumps, and Rubella)
(Chicken Pox) titer required Proof of Diphtheria-Tetanus Booster (Last
have been received within the past 10 years.)
Hepatitis B vaccination is recommended (Documentation of declination is
required if student
does not have the vaccine.)
• Proof of 2 step
PPD within 3 months prior to entry of program is required
• Provide evidence of current immunizations.
• Provide own transportation to clinical sites.
• Provide uniforms,
shoes, and lab jackets which are necessary for proper hospital attire.
• Provide proof of personal health insurance as well as current
malpractice insurance for
• Pay a
non-refundable, nontransferable deposit of $100 upon acceptance into the
• Must meet technical standards for program admission.
Clinical facilities require drug screens and/or background checks before
allowing students to participate in
clinical rotation. Students
participating in clinical may be required to have a drug screen at any time
their rotation. Students accepted to the program must be eligible
to attend clinical at all facilities. Results of
background checks and
drug screens will be reviewed with designated personnel at the affiliate
clinical sites. To
be accepted for a clinical placement, all findings
must be satisfactory to all participating clinical sites. Students
accepted for clinical rotations will not be able to successfully complete
the course or program.
Program Standards for Surgical Technology (PDF)CERTIFICATION EXAM
- The ARC/STSA threshold for participation is 100%
- The ARC/STSA threshold for pass rate is 70%
Annual Reporting Year
|# Who took exam||% Who took exam||# Who passed exam||% Who passed exam|
| 18 || 18 || 100% || 13|| 72.2% |
| 2019 |
| 11 || 11 || 100% ||6 || 54.5% |
| 2018 || 8/1/2016-7/31/17 || 19 || 19 || 100% || 12 || 63.2% |
| 2017 || 8/1/2015-7/31/16 || 14 || 14 || 100% || 9 || 64.3% |
| 2016 || 8/1/2014-7/31/2015 || 18 || 18 || 100% || 16|| 88.9% |
|2015||8/1/2013-7/31/14||18||18 ||100% ||12 ||66.7% |